Jump to navigation
Back to top
Worm Care Guide
- Keep the lid on the bin to protect the worms from light, to prevent escapees, and to keep flies/pests out.
- Keep bedding damp! When bedding gets dry, add water slowly. A layer of damp newspaper or coffee filters on top helps seal in moisture.
- Break or tear food into small pieces to encourage faster processing.
- Bury food below the top layer of bedding.
- Try not to overfeed. Check if worms are eating the food they already have before adding more. (You can freeze excess scraps!)
- Keep the bin indoors or in the shade, never in direct sunlight. Ideal temperature is 55-75°F (never below 32°F or above 90°F).
Worms LOVE to eat:
- Fruit Pieces & Peels
- (Favorites: Bananas, Melons, Avocados)
- Vegetable Pieces & Peels Coffee Grounds
- Tea Bags Egg Shells Shredded Newspaper
Worms DISLIKE (but will eat SMALL amounts of):
- Citrus pieces & peels
- (Oranges, Lemons, Limes)
- Spicy Foods
- (Jalapeños, Onions)
- Plain Bread, Pasta, Cereal, Leaves & Yard waste
Worms CANNOT eat:
- Fish Dairy Products
- (Milk, cheese)
- Oily Foods Salty Foods Glossy/Shiny Paper
Download PDF Resource