The start of spring brings a fresh opportunity to find ways to save energy and money. With just a few simple things, you can improve the energy efficiency and comfort of your home as warmer temperatures arrive. Check out these no- and low-cost ways to help reduce your energy use this spring from our partners at SDG&E!
- Adjust your thermostat. Central air conditioning is one of the biggest energy users. Set your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home, health permitting.
- Wait until 9 p.m. Postpone using major appliances until after 9 p.m.
- Keep cool with fans. Fans are a cost-effective way to keep homes cool during hot weather before air conditioning is needed. They can save up to 80-90% on cooling costs and make the temperature feel up to ten degrees cooler.
- Heat less water. Install low-flow, water-saving shower heads to cut water use and save 5% to 10% on water heating costs.
- Wash clothes in cold water. More than 70% of the cost of a load of laundry is in heating the water. Save by washing full laundry loads in cold water. Get a $25 rebate on select energy-efficient washers on Marketplace.
- Monitor your energy use. Go to My Account to check out the Energy Management Tool and sign up for energy alerts to receive email or text alerts when your energy use or spending goal reaches a certain limit.
- Shop for energy-saving products. Visit SDG&E Marketplace for your one-stop- shop for energy efficiency products from a variety of retailers.
- Go paperless. Enjoy the benefits of paperless billing.
For more ways to save and information on SDG&E rebates, click here.