Who are Solana Center Docents?
Solana Center’s Eco Team docents are specialized volunteers who help Solana Center facilitate programs centered on community education and act as a source of knowledge and guidance for our visitors. Docents convey basic concepts of sustainable living and give community members practical tools and resources for implementing sustainability in their lives.
Docents receive special training to lead tours of our grounds and demonstration site in Encinitas, host booths out in the community around San Diego County, and act as a sustainability steward in the community and spokesperson for the SCEI mission.
- Gain In-depth knowledge on subjects related to Zero Waste and sustainability, such as composting, water conservation, and waste reduction
- Be on the frontline of news and get the inside scoop on local and national sustainability events
- Be a valued and integral part of the Solana Center team
- Access to private tours of facilities crucial to local sustainability
- Free admission to the Master Composter course
- Discount on Solana Center store (with some exceptions)
Training Program Requirements
- Attend two or more Solana Center composting workshops.
Choose from any of our upcoming workshops
May substitute for attendance of Master Composter Course
- Volunteer at one or more Solana Center school recycling program
Choose from our list of upcoming opportunities
- Work two Outreach Booths
- Shadow two Green Living Tours (Encinitas)
Every first Saturday of the month
- Lead one tour with supervision
To be scheduled after all previous steps are completed
- Attend required training meetings (Encinitas)
Optional but recommended:
- 5-week Master Composter training course (course fee will be waived)
Previous volunteer experience or workshop attendance within the last year can count in liu of some requirements with approval of Community Engagement Coordinator.
Docent Commitment to Solana Center
- Lead at least one of the following programs per month:
Docent tour: 1st Saturday of the month and privately scheduled tours (Encinitas)
Docent booth: Schedule varies in accordance with outreach event dates (Around San Diego County)
- Attend Saturday meetings approximately every 2 months (Encinitas)
- Eagerness to educate our community and spread environmental education
- Foundational knowledge of key environmental concepts
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Access to personal transportation and willingness to commute lengthy distances within San Diego County
- Must be 18 years or older
- Able to walk, stand for extended periods of time
- All positions are volunteer, unpaid positions
- Available on Saturdays. Most program events take place on the weekend with some events on weekdays/nights.
Now accepting applications for our fall program. Details & dates TBD.
To apply, click here and complete and submit the form
Selected applicants will be contacted to set up an in-person or phone meeting