Who are Solana Center Docents?
Solana Center’s Eco Team docents are specialized volunteers who help Solana Center facilitate programs centered on community education and act as a source of knowledge and guidance for our visitors. Docents convey basic concepts of sustainable living and give community members practical tools and resources for implementing sustainability in their lives.
Docents receive special training to lead tours of our grounds and demonstration site in Encinitas, give guidance to our store visitors, host educational booths around San Diego County, and act as a sustainability steward in the community and spokesperson for the SCEI mission.
- Gain In-depth knowledge on subjects related to Zero Waste and sustainability, such as composting, water conservation, and waste reduction
- Make an impact on sustainability by spreading awareness and empowering the community through resources and inspiration
- Be on the frontline of news and get the inside scoop on local and national sustainability events
- Be a valued and integral part of the Solana Center team
- Free admission to the Master Composter course
- Discount on Solana Center store (with some exceptions)
Training Program Requirements
- Assist two or more Solana Center composting workshops.
Choose from any of our upcoming workshops
May substitute for attendance of Master Composter Course
- Volunteer at one or more Solana Center school recycling program
Choose from our list of upcoming school programs
- Work two Outreach Booths
Choose from our list of upcoming outreach booths
- Shadow two Green Living Tours (Encinitas)
Every first Saturday of the month
- Shadow a Solana Center educator during our public Saturday hours (Encinitas)
Scheduled on any Saturday of the month
- Attend required training meetings (Encinitas)
Starting in September - Dates TBD
Optional but recommended:
- 5-week Master Composter training course (course fee will be waived)
Previous volunteer experience or workshop attendance within the last year can count in liu of some requirements with approval of Community Engagement Coordinator.
Docent Commitment to Solana Center
- Lead at least one of the following programs per month:
Docent tour: 1st Saturday of the month and privately scheduled tours (Encinitas)
Docent booth: Schedule varies in accordance with outreach event dates (Around San Diego County)
- Attend Saturday meetings approximately every 2 months (Encinitas)
- Eagerness to educate our community and spread environmental education
- Foundational knowledge of key environmental concepts
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Access to personal transportation and willingness to commute lengthy distances within San Diego County
- Must be 18 years or older
- Able to walk, stand for extended periods of time
- All positions are volunteer, unpaid positions
- Available on Saturdays. Most program events take place on the weekend with some events on weekdays/nights.
Now accepting applications for our fall training program. Deadline to apply: August 31st. Training begins in September.
To apply, click here and complete the form.
Selected applicants will be contacted in the beginning of September to set up an in-person or phone meeting.