Are you already familiar with the basics of composting and are ready to take your knowledge to the next level? Join Solana Center and Hidden Resources and get the scoop on mid-scale composting!
This workshop does NOT address typical residential composting or large-scale commercial composting. It is intended for those systems that fall in between: farms, parks, community gardens, schools, businesses, etc.
If you're not already familiar with composting, check out one of Solana Center's free composting workshops!
During this event at beautiful Terra Madre Gardens in Escondido, participants will construct and start up a compost pile. We will incorporate on-site materials such as vegetable scraps, weeds, wood chips, chicken manure, and straw, and discuss site selection and other compost concerns (like water, pests, and odors.) As a bonus, Terra Madre will fire up their outdoor pizza oven and prepare some pizzas with garden-grown veggies!
Terra Madre Gardens is run by farmer David Solomon and his family, and it has been a part of the local garden movement for over a decade. The farm supplies organic produce to Stone Brewery restaurant and other local sourcing eateries. They are dedicated to creating a place to grow ideas to help promote home gardening, self-healing, healthy eating, exercise, artistic expression and happy living.
Space is limited. Thanks to the County of San Diego, this event is FREE. However a REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT of $20 is required to register for this event. This deposit will be completely refunded when you sign in at the event. There will be no refunds for cancellations or after the event.
This event is part of the Mid-Scale Composting series:
- The Science of Mid-Scale Composting Presentation, Escondido - June 11th, 2016
- Mid-Scale Composting Regulations Presentation, Escondido - June 11th, 2016
- Hands-On Mid-Scale Compost Build Workshop, Escondido - June 12th, 2016
- Field Trip to Pathfinder Farm, San Marcos - June 18th, 2016
- Field Trip to Costanzo Family Farm. Elfin Forest - June 18th, 2016
- Field Trip to Ramona High School, Ramona - June 18th, 2016
- Field Trip to The Red Door Restaurant Farm, La Mesa - June 18th, 2016
- Field Trip to Cuyamaca College Intergenerational Garden, El Cajon - June 18th, 2016
- Field Trip to Sweetwater Summit Regional Park, Bonita - June 18th, 2016
In collaboration with:
This event is sponsored by:
Thanks to our site provider:
|Refundable Registration Deposit - This will be refunded to you upon sign in at the event. There will be no refund if you do not attend the event.||$ 20.00|