Our Food Cycle program allows community members who can't compost at home to still divert their food waste. Our triple bin aerated static pile system is on a precise timeline to get food scraps cooking and turned into finished compost to be sent back out into the community as fast as possible. Our team of volunteers is instrumental in this process!
Every month we need help building a new pile from the collected food waste. Join us at this event and learn about composting and the amazing bokashi method! In this event you will assist with:
- Mixing fermented food waste with mulch, coffee grounds, water and other composting process ingredients
- Piling mixture into our aerated static pile bin
- Washing food waste collection buckets for redistribution
- Tuesday, May 31st from 8:00 am to 11:00 am
Opportunity Requirements & Important Notes
Attire: Wear clothes to get dirty in! Gloves will be provided but feel free to bring your own.
Bring: Reusable water bottle – we have plenty of snacks!
Experience Needed: All experience levels welcome!
Age Requirements: Must be at least 16 years of age. All volunteers under the age of 18 must attend with a parent or guardian.
Physical Requirements: Must be willing to do hands-on work with worms and other compost critters! Must not have respiratory issues (lots of dust gets kicked up, masks provided), be able to lift up to 30 pounds, and be able to be physically active for 3 hours (but with lots of breaks!).
- Safety: All participants must sign an additional COVID-19 volunteer waiver BEFORE EVENT DAY (this will be sent in an info email 1-4 days before the event). All volunteers must bring proof of vaccination against Covid-19 (or a negative PCR test from the previous 7 days) to event if you have not already done so at a previous event.
TO SIGN UP
Click on the 'Volunteer Now' button! Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Food Cycle Program is a co-op where San Diego County residents and small businesses preserve their organic waste using the Bokashi method and then deliver it to Solana Center to be turned into a nutritious soil amendment and distributed back into the community. If you are interested in becoming a member, find out more here!
137 N El Camino Real
Encinitas, CA 92024
Download iCalendar entry for this event. iCalendar feed for this event.