Become a Master Composter!
- Minimize your carbon footprint by keeping food and yard waste out of the landfill, helping reduce harmful methane gas emissions.
- Use this "waste" to create a nutrient rich amendment for your garden. Compost use reduces the need for synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- Reduce water use and increase water retention. Compost increases your soil's water holding capacity by up to 7 times and retains water for up to 7 days.
- Discover a wealth of composting options for all needs. Course will cover backyard (traditional) composting, composting with worms (vermicomposting), bokashi fermenetation, and an array of associated sub-topics.
Virtual Course Format:
- Instruction will take place through a combination of live meetings with our instructors held through Zoom and independent study.
- Virtual, 1.5-hour weekly meetings will include dedicated Q&A time and live lectures from our instructors.
- Independent study will consist of assigned readings from our online course manual, pre-taped presentations from our instructors and guest speakers, and more!
- We will offer a virtual field trip of the Miramar Greenery to observe a large-scale composting operation in action.
- An optional curated Facebook group to share with and learn from others.
This class will meet Saturdays from 10 - 11:30 AM
- Week 1 - Nov. 14
- Week 2 - Nov. 21
- SKIP Nov. 28 (Thanksgiving week)
- Week 3 - Dec. 5
- Week 4 - Dec. 12
- Week 5 - Dec. 19
If you are unable to make any of the classes, you are welcome to catch the presentation offered in the concurrent Tuesday course.
Master Composter certification requires attendance at all 5 classes, as well as 30 volunteer hours of related community service. Community service opportunities will be discussed during the course.
Course Fee: $25*
City of San Diego residents will receive preferential registration. Non-City of San Diego residents will be placed on a wait list and apprised of space available status 1-2 weeks before the start of the course.
*If the fee presents a financial hardship, please contact Diane Hazard at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for a scholarship.
This course has been made possible through generous funding by:
|City of San Diego Resident||$ 25.00|
|Non-Resident of City of San Diego (waitlist)||$ 0.00|
Download iCalendar entry for this event. iCalendar feed for this event.