Want to learn how you can improve the quality of your soil, reduce waste and air pollution while saving energy, money, and water? Learn the basics of backyard composting and how to get started with a bin that fits your needs and lifestyle with the resources below.
Creating Your Compost Bin
- Build Your Own Backyard Bin
- Home Composting Resources (Where to purchase bins and supplies)
- Compost Bin Voucher Program for Unincorporated County Residents
- Compost Bin Voucher Program for City of San Diego Residents
- Need “Browns” For Your Compost?
Maintaining Your Compost Bin
- Compost It Yourself (CIY) Guide
- How To Improve Aeration In Your Backyard Compost Bin
- Troubleshooting Your Traditional Compost Bin: Master Composter Training Tips
- Easy Ways to Rat-Proof Your Compost Bin
- 5 Ways to Heat Up Your Compost
- Pest Control for Your Backyard Compost Bin
- Critters In Your Compost!
Curing, Harvesting, and Using Compost
FAQs from the Rotline
- Do red wigglers belong in my backyard compost bin?
- Passive or active composting: which is right for you?
- Figeater beetle grubs in your compost?
- How do compost tumblers work?
- Can weeds be composted?
- Why let the rainwater in your compost pile?
- How Do I Prevent Swarms of Flies In My Compost Bin?
- How long until my compost is ready to use?