UPDATE: This course is FULL! Click here to sign up for our Master Composter Course Interest List for information about our upcoming courses.
Learn the art and science of composting!
- Minimize your carbon footprint by keeping food and yard waste out of the landfill, helping reduce harmful methane gas emissions.
- Use this "waste" to create a nutrient rich amendment for your garden. Compost use reduces the need for synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
- Reduce water use and increase water retention. Compost increases your soil's water holding capacity by up to 7 times and retains water for up to 7 days.
- Work with a team to build, maintain and troubleshoot a traditional compost pile. Course will also cover composting with worms (vermicomposting) and compost fermentation (Bokashi).
Course includes lectures, demonstrations, and a field trip. Master Composter certification requires attendance of all 5 classes, as well as 30 volunteer hours of related community service.
Week 1 Thursday, October 5th 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Week 2 Thursday, October 12th 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Week 3 Thursday, October 19th 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Week 4 Thursday, October 26th 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Week 5 Thursday, November 2nd 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Course Fee: $50* (see below for reduced prices!) Must bring payment (cash/check) to the first class.
- City of Encinitas residents receive preferential registration and may attend the course for FREE!
- Non-residents of the City of Encinitas may bring a friend for free (2-for-1 deal)
- Non-residents of the City of Encinitas registering solo will pay full price
If the fee presents a financial hardship, please contact Diane Hazard at email@example.com to apply for a scholarship.
This course has been made possible through generous funding by:
Thanks to our site provider:
1888 Montgomery Avenue
Cardiff, CA 92007